Match Reports: OUWAFC Blues and Furies

OUWAFC Blues 0-9 Nottingham Trent

After a difficult fixture against Cambridge, the Blues were hoping to start strongly against Nottingham Trent, but with injuries to Ellana Slade, Kiah Rutz and Louise Nolan the effects of last week were still being felt. New Blue Rani Wermes was also unavailable due to illness, and so call-ups were given to Charlotte Rougier, who stepped into the centre of defence, and Chevonne van Rhee who joined Lahiff and Harper in central midfield.

Nottingham Trent were both a physical and well-drilled technical side, who will prove to be difficult for any team to beat and likely find themselves comfortably top of the league come the end of the season. Despite a defensive approach from the Blues, Trent broke the deadlock early on. Spending the majority of the game out of possession meant the match was both physically and mentally challenging for the blues, who will ultimately be extremely disappointed with the final score. The performance was not, however, without positives and the blues will take a new sense of togetherness and determination with them to Worcester this Wednesday.

Lincoln University 2nds 0-1 OUWAFC Furies

BUCS week 3 saw the Furies again facing Lincoln, this time on their home turf. It quickly became apparent that Lincoln were much improved since a fortnight ago and more familiar with the very challenging and bobbly pitch. But despite a 3-hour drive, no coach and only 12 travelling players, the Furies entered the game confident and hungry for victory.

The Furies had the better chances of the first half, with last week’s scorer Martha Comerford almost finishing a lovely move down the right wing. However, the Furies were unable to capitalise and were held in the first half by a strong and aggressive Lincoln side. The second half saw the new central midfield partnership of Taiye Lawal and last year’s captain Lowri Fernyhough go from strength to strength. Fresh legs in the form of newcomer Jasmine Savage again accompanied a flurry of Furies chances, but Lincoln played well and with only 20 minutes left to play it was still goalless. Captain Rebecca North, however, was having none of it and finally broke the deadlock late into the game with a stunning ‘top-bins’ finish from the edge of the area. Thanks to some fearless defending from the back-four, who were excellent throughout, the Furies held off a late Lincoln onset, and so leave the North victorious, top of the league, and ready to face Nottingham Trent next week. 

Lucy Harper and Viola Lough