Match Reports: OUWAFC Blues and Furies

Nottingham 1sts 5-0 Blues

After a week without a game the Blues returned to action against the University of Nottingham. The Blues’ hope of a solid start was shattered by two early poorly defended corners, putting them 2-0 behind within the first 10 minutes. Nottingham continued to dominate for the rest of the half, and what can only be described as an all-round sloppy team performance saw the Blues go into the break 4-0 down. 

The second half showed great improvement both in the quality of passing and work rate from the Blues. A debut performance from Taiye Lawal was a notable contribution, as was a skilful display on the right side of midfield from Rani Wermes and a return from injury for Ellana Slade. The increased quality, pressure and desire from the Blues forced the Nottingham back-four into multiple mistakes, which unfortunately the Blues were unable to capitalise on.

Despite a 5-0 loss, the Blues will go into next week’s game against Birmingham focusing on their second half performance.

Furies 3-4 Leicester 2nds

A disappointing loss last week left the Furies keen to get back to winning ways against Leicester 2nds in the Midlands Conference Cup. After a difficult few weeks, which has seen the Furies lose several key players, this fixture also provided an opportunity for many new recruits to make their debuts. 

The Furies were dominant from the outset, and squandered several good chances to take the lead early on. Former goalkeeper Viola Lough eventually broke the deadlock with a composed left-footed finish inside the box. However, the Furies failed to capitalise on their dominance, and Leicester gradually grew into the game. Leicester’s persistence was to pay off, and some pacy runs from their wingers and a pair of good finishes from the striker saw the Furies end the half one goal down. 

After a stern half-time team talk from veteran Furies midfielder Juliette Westbrooke, the Furies started the second half well and Lough soon struck again to put the game on level terms. A pinpoint through ball from substitute Jasmine Savage then put captain Rebecca North through on goal, who finished well in the bottom corner to put the Furies 3-2 up. The following 20 minutes was again a tale of missed-chances for the Furies, who were ultimately left to rue their errors as Leicester were more clinical in the final third and scored two late goals to win the game. 

The result is a tough one to swallow, but the Furies will continue to push on and look to get back to their best in the league next week. A particular shout-out goes to Eleanor Frew, who filled in at goalkeeper last-minute and put in a stellar performance.

Lucy Harper and Viola Lough